Theology and Identity | Traditions, Movements, and Polity in the United Church of Christ, Revised (Johnson and Hambrick-Stowe, eds.)
This collection of essays spans the breadth of the UCC with its roots, polity, ministry, worship issues, theological issues, and movements.
The revised edition includes a new preface and new chapter, "Into a New Century." Theology and Identity offers an expansive collection of 19 essays, presented in three parts:
Part 1: Roots
Part 2: Polity, Ministry, and Worship Issues
Part 3: Theological Issues and Movements
The contributors — distinguished authorities in church leadership or theological education — write from their broad and diverse perspectives, and include: Donald G. Bloesch, Gabriel Fackre, Charles Hambrick-Stowe, Daniel L. Johnson, Rosemary McCombs Maxey, M. Douglas Meeks, Elizabeth C. Nordbeck, Alice Donovan, Ralph C. Quellhorst, Sharon H. Ringe, Reuben A. Sheares II, John C. Shetler, Roger L. Shinn, Samuel N. Slie, David M. Stowe, Richard H. Taylor, Frederick R. Trost, Bertrice Y. Wood, and Barbara Brown Zikmund.
About the Editors
Daniel L. Johnson, a retired United Church of Christ pastor, taught UCC polity and history at Yale Divinity School and Eden Theological Seminary.
Charles Hambrick-Stowe is vice president and dean of Northern Baptist Theological Seminary in Lombard, Illinois.
United Church Press
Purchase 6 of the following 16 polity titles and receive a 30% discount by entering the code "UCC Polity Bundle" at checkout.
- Confessing Our Faith: An Interpretation of the Statement of Faith of the United Church of Christ (Shinn)
- Covenant: A Study for the United Church of Christ (Fisler-Hoffman)
The Evangelical Catechism: A New Translation for the 21st Century (Trost)
- The Evolution of a UCC Style: Essays in the History, Ecclesiology, and Culture of the United Church of Christ (Walker)
The Heidelberg Catechism: A New Translation for the 21st Century (Barrett)
- Hidden Histories in the United Church of Christ: Volume 1 (Zikmund, ed.)
Hidden Histories in the United Church of Christ: Volume 2 (Zikmund, ed.)
History and Program: Revised and Updated (Post/Dipko)
- A History of the Evangelical and Reformed Church (Zuck, ed.)
- New Ecclesiology and Polity: The United Church of Christ (Steckel)
The Shaping of American Congregationalism: 1620-1957 (von Rohr)
- The Shaping of the United Church of Christ: An Essay in the History of American Christianity (Gunnemann)
- That We May All (Finally!) Be One: Covenant, Hospitality, and the Expanding Identity in the United Church of Christ (Gast)
- Theology and Identity: Traditions, Movements, and Polity in the United Church of Christ (Johnson and Hambrick-Stowe, eds.)
- United and Uniting: The Meaning of an Ecclesial Journey, United Church of Christ 1957-1987 (Gunnemann)
- The Unofficial Handbook of the United Church of Christ (Caldwell and Preston)