The Shaping of the United Church of Christ | An Essay in the History of American Christianity (Gunnemann)
A Protestant Movement toward Unity
The author wrote a compelling story of how the United Church of Christ took shape in the mid-twentieth century. During this time, church unions were a prominent feature of the movement toward Christian unity and secular models of organization dominated denominational development. Charles Shelby Rooks has expanded this classic text by bringing the United Church of Christ story to the forty-year mark.
Today the United Church of Christ has grown into a denomination that strives to become a multicultural and multiracial church. Rooks' additional chapter provides reflections on five themes woven throughout the church between 1977 and 1998. The documentation cited will provide helpful guidance to anyone seeking to pursue additional study of the United Church of Christ.
An interpretive essay in the history of American Christianity, this book is also a narrative account of the church union process itself. In that respect it is of significance for Protestant Christianity in general.
About the Authors
Louis H. Gunnemann, now deceased, was professor emeritus of ministry studies and former dean of United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities.
Charles Shelby Rooks, now deceased, was executive vice president emeritus of the United Church Board for Homeland Ministries, United Church of Christ.
United Church Press
Purchase 6 of the following 16 polity titles and receive a 30% discount by entering the code "UCC Polity Bundle" at checkout.
- Confessing Our Faith: An Interpretation of the Statement of Faith of the United Church of Christ (Shinn)
- Covenant: A Study for the United Church of Christ (Fisler-Hoffman)
The Evangelical Catechism: A New Translation for the 21st Century (Trost)
- The Evolution of a UCC Style: Essays in the History, Ecclesiology, and Culture of the United Church of Christ (Walker)
The Heidelberg Catechism: A New Translation for the 21st Century (Barrett)
- Hidden Histories in the United Church of Christ: Volume 1 (Zikmund, ed.)
Hidden Histories in the United Church of Christ: Volume 2 (Zikmund, ed.)
History and Program: Revised and Updated (Post/Dipko)
- A History of the Evangelical and Reformed Church (Zuck, ed.)
- New Ecclesiology and Polity: The United Church of Christ (Steckel)
The Shaping of American Congregationalism: 1620-1957 (von Rohr)
- The Shaping of the United Church of Christ: An Essay in the History of American Christianity (Gunnemann)
- That We May All (Finally!) Be One: Covenant, Hospitality, and the Expanding Identity in the United Church of Christ (Gast)
- Theology and Identity: Traditions, Movements, and Polity in the United Church of Christ (Johnson and Hambrick-Stowe, eds.)
- United and Uniting: The Meaning of an Ecclesial Journey, United Church of Christ 1957-1987 (Gunnemann)
- The Unofficial Handbook of the United Church of Christ (Caldwell and Preston)
Search terms: polity, Synod