Glorify | Reclaiming the Heart of Progressive Christianity (Heath)
Praise for Glorify
“Thank God Rev. Heath had the audacity to turn to the foundations of Jesus’ Gospel for their vision of what progressive Christianity needs today. Glorify is a spiritual manifesto to revive the reader’s spirit and bring new life to the Church.”
- Paul Brandeis Raushenbush, Senior Vice President for Public Engagement, Auburn Theological Seminary, NYC, and former Executive Religion Editor, The Huffington Post
“I could barely get through the introduction without shouting out a loud ‘Amen!’ Heath articulates so much of the groaning of my own heart in ministry. I look forward to introducing Heath’s work to the leadership of my congregation so that our own discussions about discipleship can grow deeper and stronger. This book is a gift.”
- The Rev. Shannon J. Kershner, Pastor, Fourth Presbyterian Church, Chicago, IL
“Heath reminds the church of the joyful life of following Christ! How refreshing to read a book that does not shy away from Jesus who taught us about generous hospitality, justice, and life in the Spirit. I will use Glorify in my congregation as a primer on Christian discipleship.”
- The Rev. Jes Kast-Keat, Associate Minister, West End Collegiate Church, NYC
A Faith to Change the World
Mainline Protestant denominations are dying, while conservative traditions are flourishing. "Nones" are the fastest growing religious demographic in the United States. A pastor and self-proclaimed former "none," Heath possesses an excellent understanding of church growth and the lack thereof, and frequently draws upon that experience when looking for ways to welcome people to church.
In Glorify: Reclaiming the Heart of Progressive Christianity, Heath shares the experiences, insights, lessons, and challenges that shaped them on their journey of faith. The book is sometimes practical, sometimes spiritual, and always glorifying the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which Heath asserts is the true way to change the world.Read this book if you are. . .
- a progressive Christian who wants to see the renewal of a vital, living church tradition
- a spiritual seeker who wants a faith that’s both deeply rooted and radically relevant
- clergy or a lay leader who is re-examining your local church’s priorities
- a denominational leader who is looking for another perspective on church growth
- a post-evangelical who feels like something is “missing” in the mainline denominations
- an aspiring theologian (lay or ordained) who wants an accessible book about practical Reformed theology
- curious about what glorifying God might look like for a church culture on the verge of a major sea change
About the Author
Emily C. Heath is a United Church of Christ pastor, writer, and public theologian. A former religious “none”, Heath is committed to helping the larger church have relevant discussions about discipleship and how to help our congregations to thrive. Their writing has been featured in The Huffington Post, The Christian Century, Stillspeaking Daily Devotional, and more.
Paperback: 144 pages (6" x 9")