Author Retreat 2024
Invitation to Apply
The Pilgrim Press invites applications to its 2024 Author Retreat, which will provide eight selected writers with the opportunity for professional development, collegial critique, and creative space in community to hone their book projects.
We are especially but not exclusively looking for unpublished authors whose book ideas resonate with The Pilgrim Press' historic testimony that there is "more truth and light yet to break forth." Accepted attendees of the 2024 Author Retreat grant the right of first refusal on their retreat-workshopped book to The Pilgrim Press.
The application window for this event is now closed.
Applications must be submitted as an attachment, by email, to pilgrim (at) ucc (dot) org. The attachment must include the following:
- letter describing your interest in the retreat and in The Pilgrim Press;
- resume or CV, as well as a brief self-introduction (something about yourself beyond skills and credentials and job titles);
- description of the book envisioned as your retreat project;
- writing sample of the same book project (8-15 pages, double-spaced).
Only completed applications submitted by December 1, 2023, will be considered.
If accepted to attend an Author Retreat, the costs of travel to/from the retreat, lodging at the retreat, and meals during the retreat will be covered by The Pilgrim Press. Accepted attendees of the 2024 Author Retreat grant the right of first refusal on their retreat-workshopped book to The Pilgrim Press.
Examples of books that were developed during the 2019 Author Retreat include:
- Another Scroll: Defiant Readings for Lectionary Year C
- Speak with the Earth and It Will Teach You
- Only Work Sundays
- with books still to come in 2024 from Aubra Love and Christine Wiley.
The 2024 Author Retreat will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana, from Wednesday, April 10 - Saturday, April 13, 2024.