The Heidelberg Catechism | A New Translation for the 21st Century (Barrett)
A Fresh Translation
This translation of the historic The Heidelberg Catechism takes into account scholarship since the 1962 translation by Allen Miller and Eugene Osterhaven.
An introduction briefly describes the role of catechisms in the life of the church and explains the historical dynamics that led to the composition of The Heidelberg Catechism. It includes a synopsis of the catechism's distinctive theological emphases as well as suggestions about the ongoing relevance for churches in a post-Christendom environment. It explains doctrinal terms.
The book is designed for new church members, confirmation students, and persons seeking ministerial standing.
About the Translator
Lee C. Barrett, III holds the Mary B. and Henry P. Stager Chair in Theology at Lancaster Theological Seminary, as professor of systematic theology.
United Church Press
UCC Polity Discount
Purchase 6 of the following 16 polity titles and receive a 30% discount by entering the code "UCC Polity Bundle" at checkout.
- Confessing Our Faith: An Interpretation of the Statement of Faith of the United Church of Christ (Shinn)
- Covenant: A Study for the United Church of Christ (Fisler-Hoffman)
The Evangelical Catechism: A New Translation for the 21st Century (Trost)
- The Evolution of a UCC Style: Essays in the History, Ecclesiology, and Culture of the United Church of Christ (Walker)
The Heidelberg Catechism: A New Translation for the 21st Century (Barrett)
- Hidden Histories in the United Church of Christ: Volume 1 (Zikmund, ed.)
Hidden Histories in the United Church of Christ: Volume 2 (Zikmund, ed.)
History and Program: Revised and Updated (Post/Dipko)
- A History of the Evangelical and Reformed Church (Zuck, ed.)
- New Ecclesiology and Polity: The United Church of Christ (Steckel)
The Shaping of American Congregationalism: 1620-1957 (von Rohr)
- The Shaping of the United Church of Christ: An Essay in the History of American Christianity (Gunnemann)
- That We May All (Finally!) Be One: Covenant, Hospitality, and the Expanding Identity in the United Church of Christ (Gast)
- Theology and Identity: Traditions, Movements, and Polity in the United Church of Christ (Johnson and Hambrick-Stowe, eds.)
- United and Uniting: The Meaning of an Ecclesial Journey, United Church of Christ 1957-1987 (Gunnemann)
- The Unofficial Handbook of the United Church of Christ (Caldwell and Preston)