The Bible and the Transgender Experience | How Scripture Supports Gender Variance (Herzer)
The Bible and the Transgender Experience explores:
- whether or not God creates only two genders
- what Jesus had to say about gender variance
- various understandings of “the cross-dressing passage”
- gender variant groups and individuals in scripture
- the movement, within scripture itself, from the exclusion of gender variant people to their inclusion within the people of God
CLICK HERE TO PREVIEW TABLE OF CONTENTS, PREFACE, and PART 1.
The author, a non-transgender pastor, spent three years serving a church where ten percent of the congregation identified as trans men, trans women, cross-dressers, or genderqueer. This motivated her to learn about gender-variant people and to expand her previous understanding of the Bible.
A must-read for all pastors, chaplains, counselors, and congregants, and for family and friends of transgender people, as well as for gender variant individuals seeking to find their stories in the biblical narrative, and desiring to know how scripture supports them.
The Bible and the Transgender Experience includes the following resources:
- "How to make your congregation or group trans friendly”: Practical suggestions from the author
- Discussion guide: Thought-provoking questions that can be used with a book group or as part of a four- to five-week Bible study.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Linda Tatro Herzer is co-founder of Transformation Journeys Worldwide, a cutting edge diversity training firm with a transgender focus. As an active ally, she travels nationally speaking, preaching, and working with corporations and organizations to help them become more trans inclusive. Herzer has pastored churches in New York and Georgia and has worked as a school librarian. She is the proud mother of one daughter and lives in Atlanta.
Paperback: 128 pages